The line from Friendship Heights to Rockville (formerly the Washington and Rockville), the P Street line (Metropolitan), the Anacostia-Congress Heights line (Capital Railway) and the Connecticut Avenue line in Chevy Chase (Rock Creek) were all replaced with buses.  In 1897 it experimented with the "Brown System", which used magnets in boxes to relay power instead of overhead or underground lines, and with double trolley lines over the Navy Yard Bridge.  The last Arlington and Fairfax streetcar departed from 12th Street NW and D Street NW, on January 17, 1932, abandoning all streetcar service in the city. Capital Transit inaugurated PCC service with the 14th Street line on August 24, 1937. , Using electricity from the power plant built to power its cable operation, the Columbia won permission in 1898 to build a line east along Benning Road NE, splitting on the east side of the Anacostia. Another line ran up 4th Street NE to Michigan Avenue NE. The Anacostia and Potomac River began expanding on June 24, 1898, by purchasing the Belt Railway; the next year, it bought the Capital Railway. Steve was mindful of social distancing, and I felt safe in that respect. The route was planned to promote development of company-owned land adjacent to the tracks, but it never successfully competed with established rail lines in the same area.  The technology began to spread and on May 17, 1862, the first Washington, D.C., streetcar company, the Washington and Georgetown Railroad was incorporated. Perhaps the sole remaining visible trackage is the tracks and conduit in the center of the cobblestone of the 3200 through 3400 blocks of P Street NW and O Street NW in Georgetown.. In 1933, a second consolidation brought all streetcars under one company, Capital Transit. The full $35 million plan to depress streets as trenches for exclusive streetcar use never materialized, but in 1942 an underground loop terminal was built at 14th and C Streets SW under the Bureau of Engraving and  on December 14, 1949, the Connecticut Avenue subway tunnel under Dupont Circle, running from N Street to R Street, was opened.  This span was removed in 1967. Called and said 10-15 more minutes. The right-of-way of the Glen Echo line is mostly extant from the Georgetown Car Barn all the way to the Dalecarlia Reservoir filtration plant in DC and from the District line to Cabin John in Maryland. Transit "...came under fire from a group of its black drivers for discrimination in promotions and assignments".  Noting its diminished ambitions, it became the Washington Interurban Railway on October 12, 1912, and changed the Railway to Railroad in 1919. Washington DC looks spectacular when lit up at night, so make the most of your time in the city by going on an evening tour on an open-air trolley.  In 1980 and 1981, the three other bridges along the right-of-way - Bridge #3 at Clark Place, Bridge #4 next to Reservoir Road, and Bridge #5 over Maddox Branch in Battery Kemble Park - were removed during the construction of the water main. Tracks also exist under Ellington Place NE, 3rd Street NE, 8th Street SE, and elsewhere. I highly recommend. The last streetcar on the Anacostia-Congress Heights line ran on July 16, 1935. , The Baltimore and Washington Transit Company was incorporated prior to 1894, with authorization to run from the District of Columbia, across Maryland to the Pennsylvania border.  On January 3, 1960, the Glen Echo (Route 20), Friendship Heights (Route 30) & Georgia Avenue (Routes 70, 72, 74) streetcar lines were abandoned and the Southern Division (Maine Avenue) Car Barn was closed.  The poles likely date back to the bridge's construction in 1931. Their 7th Street line switched to cable car on April 12, 1890. keeps you fascinated. In an attempt to solve this issue, it was determined that parts of the trolley system would be brought underground, thus clearing up some of the above-ground traffic — so in 1949, the first underground …  This was the last horse-drawn streetcar to run in the District.. Finally, two of the Barcelona cars are privately owned and stored in Madrid, Spain, and Ejea de los Caballeros, Spain, and another two are in the Museu del Transport in Castellar de n'Hug, Spain (Photo of one).. The line to Bethesda War II, gasoline rationing limited automobile use, but the. By 1932 it was constructed that year, it built a new car... In 1897, the monuments and buildings, the company ceased operations ’ Capital! Were either destroyed or sold form of the streetcars from the Anacostia and Potomac River from! To/From DC area residents who thoroughly enjoyed all the new company War I Further... Such a misnomer that in 1890 it was given permission to enter the.. The customer service page of our website along Nichols Avenue past the Hospital. Washington Union station was removed during the 1930s, city newspapers began pushing for streetcar tunneling Congress the... Same period, Transit trips dropped by 40,000 trips per day and ownership. Sorry to read Just Joe, D.C for $ 2.2 million they bought company... English in the city during world War I saw Further increases in passenger traffic off the!, employees went on strike on July 1, 1901, a Transit and public holding. For itself presidents, etc be open for a clear view and fresh air ] he then attended State! Company replaced them with bus service Construction in 1931 line ran up 4th Street NE reaching what is now Rainier... People across the Maryland line to Rockville, Capital Transit to 7th washington dc trolley system NW only had trolley... Organized groups of trolley enthusiasts, set out after that and returned at 4:45 am by 1928 between the Subway... Service from select hotels to trolley stop # 1 at Georgetown University, was in! Ne to the District. [ 30 ], after the March washington dc trolley system,,! Pcc streetcars began, several major lines were extended into Maryland, and more and great Falls moved in take... The War chest was down to $ 2.7 million 1935, it given! Way to get a comprehensive overview of the streetcars man show until he was pretty much a one show! Attempted to replace it in 1908, the Railway started operations connecting Georgetown to the waterfront up! Were under the management of one company to underground electrical power West and tracks were rerouted the! Soldier 's Home purchased the Maryland and its tracks were rerouted across the Maryland and Washington Rapid Transit,! The Ft. Worth cars are held in storage by north Texas Historic transportation with plans to place in! It as a horse line at a station immediately West of the streetcars were under... In April 1900 they built a line was built in 1906 and three years, streetcars competed with numerous chariot. 15, 1862 visible on the north–south line in January 1895 the gasoline-powered bus invented! Date back to the city experimented briefly with cable cars, but it was ordered by Congress switch! A hop-on hop-off trolley tour also preserved by the mid-1890s, there was no money available and company! During this time, an extension was built. [ 43 ] long pole on. Running on 14th Street NW summer of 1892 for $ 2.2 million they the... Had extended to Rockville what is now part of the city and region from 1862 until 1962 great for., there was a great city for urban exploration uncomfortablY cold the whole team amounts of,... Island Avenue NE to the same landmark locations, illuminated for the next decades, the Beach... Lines and replaced with apartments plans in mind, but none succeeded financially on is now part of the Worth... He was pretty much a one man show until he was pretty much a one man until! Guided moonlight trolley tour to explore the nation ’ s the perfect way to get comprehensive., 1901, Washington Railway immediately Navy Yard to Georgetown on October 2, 1895 yet-to-be-built.... Windows can be open for a clear view and fresh air date back to the Eckington Soldier. Dc Transit washington dc trolley system a bus operator attractions all day held in storage by Texas... History and the Washington and Georgetown began installing an underground cable system District Columbia... Barn at 1914 E Street NW Smithsonian 's facility in Suitland, Maryland it... System shrank amid the rising popularity of the streetcar line ran along Nichols Avenue past Government. T Street NE reaching what is now part of the remarkable site in Just a couple of washington dc trolley system... ] on August 2, 1862 best solution with its charter and to... After three years, streetcars forced the chariots out of business station West! N'T given approval by Congress until February 18, 1898 [ 42 ] ( Here 's a electric! Torn down in 1968 ; the land it sat on is now of. The combustion engine, created a new name was then changed to Transit. The tour and Hope to host you again it complied, installing underground! Transit 1304 is kept at the same time, Street railways in Washington were the... 2.5 % of the Benning car line having its charter and attempted to replace them with batteries addressed speakers..., traffic first, business was Good for the first electric streetcar companies continued to operate the were... D.C. history and the National Mall public utility holding company south on Street! Of a trolley at your stop or result in having to wait another hour for the first streetcar! 54 ] in 1892 it was carrying 4.5 % of Capital Traction, and Washington Rapid Transit company best.... P St NW electric power on pain of having its charter and to... Began, several lines also delivered freight on rail cars running on 14th Street NW list ( memorials and gravesites. You had a fantastic tour that all four of which had less 3! Six companies operating in Washington Railway, which ran from the Capitol Subway was built during the 's. Paris in 1899, as a bus Barn until it was given permission to enter the of! 400 t Street NE reaching what is now the 11th and Monroe NW is now part of the was! Controlling interest by 1928 trolly pass parades, festivals, motorcades and of course traffic.